Adaptivity is an app for developers and designers to visualise how iOS’s Size Classes and margins for layout, readable content and the safe area look on real devices and how they change with respect to orientation and Dynamic Type size changes. This free version has reduced features.
• “Adaptivity is not just highly recommended – it’s essential” — Paul Hudson, Hacking With Swift article “8 essential apps for iOS developers”, 30th March 2020.
• “It's a very, very good tool as a reference for both developers and designers” — Gui Rambo, Stacktrace podcast episode #77, 1st April 2020.
• “I'm not trying to spend your money, but to me this is a no-brainer” — Sean Allen YouTube video “Indie Dev Apps”, 12th April 2020.
• Only supports iPhone to visualise how an iPhone‑only app appears on iPad.
• Visualise sizes for full view, layout margins, readable content guide and safe area layout guide.
• Sizes displayed in points or pixels.
• Regular or large navigation bar titles.
• Toggle status bar and navigation bar/toolbar/tab bar visibility.
• Activity View Controller for sharing a snapshot image of each view.
• Dark appearance support (requires iOS or iPadOS 13).
• Setting to force right-to-left layout.
• Handoff actions from Adaptivity (C) on one device to Adaptivity (A) on another.
• Popover, Form/Page Sheet, Full Screen and Automatic modal presentations.
• Split View Controller and Tab Bar Controller.
• Dynamic Type styles for the current Content Size Category.
The full version of the app, Adaptivity (A), includes many more features:
• Table View Controller.
• Keyboard Dodging and Custom Keyboard.
• Safe Area Layout Guide.
• Explore Pointer Interaction (requires iPadOS 13.4 and a trackpad or mouse).
• Explore System Colors.
• Explore System Images (requires iOS or iPadOS 13). Detail screen shows the selected image at different weights, scales and a selection of text styles.
• Explore System Materials (requires iOS or iPadOS 13).
• Siri shortcut with custom response UI.
• Handoff support.
• External display support.
• Notification Content Extension.
• Watch App.
• iMessage App.
Note: Adaptivity (A) supports multiple windows on iPadOS 13. On earlier iOS versions, Adaptivity (A) and (B) must be downloaded to run Adaptivity twice using Split View or Slide Over iPad multitasking.
Adaptivity (A) is a universal purchase and includes a Mac Catalyst version of the app. Buying one allows the other to be downloaded at no extra cost using the same Apple ID.
Adaptivity (C) has the same reduced features as Adaptivity (B) but only supports iPhone. Use it to visualise how an iPhone‑only app appears on iPad.
For more information see https://hacknicity.com/adaptivity